Entrepreneur’s question: I am at risk of violence from a former partner and I am desperately trying to erase all traces of my address on the Internet and in particular company searches. My main concern is my personal information on file with Companies House which is on display to the public.

They indicated that my information first filed in 2011 can only be deleted if the risk of harm is associated with the recorded business activities. The best they can offer is to replace my address, but my current address would be just a mouse click away and still displayed, right? How best to solve this problem, given that I think I am in danger?

Expert’s response: Many business leaders prefer to keep their home addresses out of the public eye. An increasing number of companies are now incorporated with administrators using a “service address”. If you are an administrator, you can change your address to a service address which will then be visible on the public registry in the future.

To do this, you will need to deposit Form CH01 from Companies House either through the WebFiling service or by post. However, it is important to note that while the service address will become the most immediately available address on the public folder, due to the very nature of the Internet, the chances of removing it entirely from all folders are very good. limited.

The service address is the official address of a business owner. The registered office address is the official address of a public limited company or LLP. As a seat belt exercise, you also need to change the head office address.

As you suggest, you can also ask Companies House to remove your home address details from previously filed documents. However, they are only likely to do this if you or someone you live with is at risk of violence or bullying. because of your company’s business, as opposed to personal matters. Again, however, this app may not fully remove your contact details from websites that have “scratched” Companies House data in the past.

Harassment is both a criminal offense and a civil action under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. This means that your ex-partner could be sued in criminal courts if they harass you. It also means that you can bring an action against that person in civil courts. If you feel in danger, contact the police immediately and seek legal advice.

The expert was Michael Mulligan, partner at Grosvenor Law, a law firm specializing in litigation in London’s Mayfair.